Welcome to Kirkby Portland Cricket Club
Kirkby Portland Cricket Club and the ground that they now own at Nuncargate both enjoy a wonderful heritage. The Club was formed in 1878 and first played on a farmer’s field near Portland Colliery. They were Notts. Senior League Champions four times and Notts. Senior League Cup winners once in the early part of the last century. The Club has also had a considerable amount of success in recent years in both adult and junior cricket. The Club purchased their ground at Nuncargate in 1990 from Scottish & Newcastle Brewery after taking out a lease on it more than ten years earlier. This was the pitch that the legendary Harold Larwood first played cricket. The Club’s new brick pavilion, which was opened in 2002 by his daughter Enid Todd, is named in honour of this great Notts. and England fast bowler who tamed the Australians.
Many of the players from the Notts. Golden Years of Cricket came from Kirkby-in-Ashfield. The Club aims to ensure that this heritage is never forgotten and that cricket in this region has a bright future.
Kirkby Portland are an England & Wales Cricket Board Focus Club within Nottinghamshire and they have also achieved ECB Clubmark accreditation. They are therefore adjudged by both the England & Wales Cricket Board and Sport England to be a safe, effective and child-friendly organisation. This pedigree has borne fruit in recent years with Sport England granting the bulk of the funds required for the new pavilion and the England & Wales Cricket Board contributed similarly for the Club’s new fully enclosed cricket nets. This funding from the ECB was part of their Community Club Development Programme. Kirkby Portland were given the accolade of being one of only three clubs in Nottinghamshire and two hundred clubs throughout the United Kingdom who were deemed eligible to receive money from this fund.
Kirkby Portland field three adult sides in the Gunn & Moore South Notts. Cricket League on Saturdays and three on Sundays in the Mansfield & District Cricket League. In addition the Club runs two Kwik Cricket teams for the younger members plus hardball teams in the Mansfield & District Youth Cricket League at Under 11, Under 12, Under 13, Under 15 & Under 15 girls.
The Committee/Team Captains /200 CLUB
Kirkby Portland Cricket Club Committee Members 2016
VICE CHAIRMAN Adie Severn
ASSISTANT SECRETARY Michael Blackwell
MEMBERSHIP SECRETARY Paul Barrow
H & S OFFICER Paul Barrow
CHILD PROTECTION OFFICER Michael Blackwell
CHANCE TO SHINE ..C2S Terry Barrett
200 CLUB Kevin Jones
COMMITTEE MEMBERS Gary Jones, Geoff Ellis, Jim Severn
COACH CO-ORDINATOR Geoff Ellis
TEAM SELECTION Daniel Severn, James Wood, Jacob Driscoll, Rob Casterton, Ashley Severn
YOUTH DEVELOPMENT OFFICER Steve Whetton
ASHFIELD CLUB FORUM Geoff Ellis
CRICKET FORCE Terry Barrat
CRICKET DEVELOPMENT GROUP Gary Glenn
SOUTH NOTTS CRICKET LEAGUE
SENIOR TEAMS CAPTAINS Captain Vice Captain
Saturday 1st Eleven Daniel Severn
Saturday 2nd Eleven Jim Severn
Saturday 3rd Eleven Adrian Severn
Sunday 1st Eleven Micheal Jennings
Sunday 2nd Eleven Thomas Crossland
YOUTH TEAMS MANAGERS
U11 P.Barrow U13 Adrian Severn/Paul Barrow
U15 Steve Whetton U15 GIRLS Geoff Ellis
KWIK CRICKET Gary Glenn/Richard Crossland
Our clubhouse is easy to find as it is situated behind the CRICKETERS ARMS pub on Nuncargate Road. Postcode NG17 9EH
FROM THE M1 JUNCTION 27
Turn off at J27 for the A608 in the direction of Mansfied / Hucknall. Follow through until you meet the A611 at the traffic lights. ** Turn left onto the A611 and go along throught the first lights at the Badger Box pub. At the next traffic lights (not pedestrian lights) turn left down the hill for Kirkby in Ashfield. ***Immediately at the bottom of the hill turn left onto Nuncargate Road and follow for app half a mile until you see the sign for the Cricketers Arms pub on the right. Turn into the pub drive and drive through onto the KPCC ground and pavilion
FROM THE NOTTINGHAM AREA
Access the A611 at Hucknall and head north for the M1 turn off. At the turn off go straight ahead on the A611 and follow from ** above.
FROM THE MANSFIELD AREA
Access the A611, Derby Road and go south. Follow the A611 and you will see the entrance to Hollinwell Golf Club on the left. At the next set of lights turn right down Mutton Hill and the then follow *** as above.
KPCC welcomes families to it's home matches and there is child friendly recreation park with several activities adjacent to the club.
1878 Club formed. Played on farmer’s field near Portland colliery.
1900 Moved to Sutton Road, Kirkby. Ground rented from Duke of Portland.
1908 Notts. Senior League Champions.
1919 Notts. Senior League Champions.
1921 Notts. Senior League Champions and Notts. Senior League Cup Winners.Duke of Portland offered KPCC the chance to buy the ground
but they could not afford to.
1922 Notts. Senior League Champions. New Hucknall Colliery Company purchased ground for Bentinck Colliery.
1923 Bentinck Colliery Cricket Club moved onto ground leaving KPCC without a pitch. KPCC reluctantly agreed to merge with Bentinck Colliery CC.
1966 was evicted from the Colliery Ground. KPCC played friendly games only, away to other teams.
1968 Commenced playing at Linby Colliery Ground on annual rental basis. KPCC started playing league cricket again in Notts Amateur League
1977 1st Eleven moved to Kingsway Park. 2nd Eleven moved to Annesley Welfare. Both on an annual rental basis.
1978 Celebrated Centenary with match against local celebrities.
Took out 20 Year Lease on Nuncargate Cricket Ground which had lain barren for a number of years.
1979 Notts Amateur League Division 3 Winners
1979- Prepared the new Cricket Ground, including the laying of a new cricket square and the erecting of
1985 a prefabricated building as pavilion.
1981 Notts Amateur League Division 1 Runners Up
1982 Joined Mansfield Evening League - KO Cup Winners
1983 KPCC 2nd Eleven played the first match on the renovated ground.
1984 Derbyshire Cup Runners Up
1986 Officially opened new ground featuring match against local celebrities.
1987 Derbyshire Cup Winners
1990 Purchased Nuncargate Cricket Ground on freehold basis.
1992 Joined the newly formed Mansfield Youth Cricket League.
1995 Joined South Notts Village League and won Division 2 in the same year.
2000 After restructuring of league promoted from Section 1E as runners up.
2000 New Sunday XI formed to join Mansfield District League.
2002 New Brick Pavilion built, named in honour of Harold Larwood, officially opened by EnidTodd, Harold Larwood’s daughter. Played match
against local celebrities to commemorate.
2003 Recognised as England & Wales Cricket Board Focus Club.
2004 2nd Sunday XI formed.
2005 Awarded England & Wales Cricket Board / Sport England ‘Clubmark’ status.
2006 Saturday 3rd XI formed to introduce juniors to adult cricket. This team play at Newstead Abbey ground.
Saturday 1st XI promoted to Section B of South Notts. Cricket League, as Champions and Sunday 1st XI promoted to Premiership
of Mansfield Sunday League. 3rd XI promoted in first season.
2007 Saturday 2nd XI and Sunday 2nd XI promoted.
2009 Saturday 1st XI promoted to Division B of South Notts Cricket League
2012 Sunday 1st X1 promoted to Premier Division
Harold Larwood, who was a member of the England team caught up in the Bodyline Series of 1932/33, started his playing career on our Cricket ground.